HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! January is here! Its hard to believe another year has passed. And while I’m a little behind on getting my 2014 reviews and 2015 goal planning completed, they’re in progress and I’m content to keep pressing along.
One of the best experiments of 2014 was completing the Whole30 program in September. It is the best I have EVER felt. I extended it through the first week of October, which paid off nicely, as it gave me TigerBlood energy during my first CrossFit competition… And I won my division!
Unfortunately, after the competition, my super clean diet quickly slipped away as Jeff and I poured every waking moment into getting our CrossFit gym open and running. Lets just say that finishing out Wedding Photography season while opening a second business makes for a very crazy schedule. And lots of takeout. In our defense, we tried for healthier options.. (the new Pho place knows us by name)… but its not the same as cooking your own meals.
Anyways, I’ve been desiring to get that Tiger Blood energy back and so I’m starting another Whole30 to reset my system on Monday 1/5.
If you haven’t heard of Whole30, I highly recommend you check out the book It Starts With Food and the whole30.com website. In short, you eat clean food for 30 days and cut out processed food along with food groups that people are most commonly allergic to. Then at then of 30 days they give you a reintroduction plan so you can evaluate how different foods effect your body. The goal is to change your relationship with food and food habits/cravings.
What worked really well for me last time was meal planning weekly. It helped take the guess work out of what to cook and eat, and definitely helped me stay the course.
Whole 30 Week 1 Meal Plan
Note: I only meal plan dinners. I eat almost the same thing for breakfast every morning (eggs + protein + veggies) and leftovers for lunch. Also, I only planned 6, because inevitably we end up doing something 1/week not at our house. If we do stay home I’ll cook up leftovers.
Snack ideas: cooked sweet potato, hard boiled eggs, almonds, carrots/celery/apple with almond butter
Week 1 Dinners & Recipes:
- Buffalo Ranch Chicken Stuffed Peppers [A1] & Guacamole [A2]: recipe here
- Whole Roast Chicken [B] + Sweet potato/butternut squash roast [B]: recipe here & see below*
- Apple Dijon Burgers [C]: recipe here
- Paleo Pad Thai (with chicken) [D]: recipe here
- Pesto Meatballs (chicken/turkey/beef)[E1] in Marinara Sauce [E2] w/ spagetti squash: recipe here
- Turkey + sweet potatoes + brussel sprouts stir fry [F]: recipe below**
*Sweet potato/butternut squash roast [B]: Toss cubed sweet potato/squash/onion with EVOO & thyme/salt/pepper – roast on in oven for ~45min-1hr)
- 6 chicken breasts [A] [D]
1 whole chicken (4-5 lbs.), rinsed and patted dry [B]
1 lb grass-fed ground beef [C]
1-2 lbs ground turkey [F]
1 lb ground chicken/turkey/beef [E1]
- 2 eggs [C]
- 3 yellow onions [A] [B] [F]
- 1 red onion [A2], [C]
- 4 bell peppers [A]
- 2 avocados [A2]
- Celery [B]
- Carrots [B]
- Sweet Potatoes [B], [F]
- 1 Butternut Squash [B]
- 2-4 Spagetti Squash
- Brussel Sprouts [F]
- ½ – 1 jalapeno, seeded, and minced [A2]
- 2 limes [A2], [D]
- 1/2 cup shredded apple [C]
- Garlic [D], [E1], [E2]
- Shallot [D]
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped [A2],[D]
- 1 bunch basil leaves, slivered [E2], [E1]
- 1 bunch fresh parsley leaves [E1]
- Sea salt [all]
- Pepper [all]
- Parsley [A]
- Dill [A]
- Chives [A]
- Garlic powder [A], [B]
- Onion powder [A]
- Thyme [B]
- Paprika [B]
- Cayenne pepper (optional) [B]
- Crushed red pepper flakes [E1], [D]
- Cream of tartar [E1]
- Baking soda [E1]
- 1/4c Almond Butter[D]
- 1/4c Walnuts [E1]
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes [E2]
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce [E2]